If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it – change your attitude
This well-known quote by Maya Angelou is a motto that Leo and Piotr Jankowski live by every day. Although the last few years have not been easy for them, they have persistently pursued their goal and found their place in life. Moving to 3cITy played a significant role in this process.
Piotr Jankowski is a leader with over 17 years of experience. He was the Head of the second-largest Global Delivery Center of Fujitsu. Piotr built and managed his team in challenging times. He was responsible for growing the center to 2,500 + employees (from 1000) and also for developing a new branch office in Poland. Despite so many achievements, or perhaps thanks to them, he decided to change the course of his career and had the courage to start over. In his journey, Piotr is accompanied by his wife, Leo, who shares his goals and visions.
As Piotr says, sometimes change ain’t gradual, it hits you in your face and then it’s on you to decide what you are going to do with it.
– Back then, I was so preoccupied with the company’s priorities that I often missed family matters. Even when I was with them, I was somehow uninvolved. Leo took care of most of the household chores, and my parents helped a lot. I was grateful to all 3 of them, the fact that they took so much on themselves made it possible for me to fulfil myself professionally – says Piotr – and then my dad passed away. This made me look at my life from a different perspective. I realized that my parents and Leo were trying to fill a me-sized void. It was a difficult time for me, but it was then when I decided to change. Thanks to a leadership program and hiring a super coach, I began to understand what I really want to do with my life and I put the plan in motion.
Two years later, the plan was ready and the first step was made – Piotr left the corporate world and started helping Leo to achieve her goals. Leo, a former international level basketball player and multi medallist had always dreamt of having her own personal training business. Now, it was her turn to make her dreams a reality.
– I have been happy to be able to support Piotr’s growth in the business world, but I was even happier with his decision to change his life. Now, we both could work together to achieve both our dreams. I have always wanted to be a fitness coach and a personal trainer, cause fitness for me is doing something to take care of yourself while having fun. So, we started planning the PRZERWA-Studio EMS, my own company – says Leo – Together with Piotr, we came up with the concept. Everything was going great, we were about to sign a contract for the venue when COVID hit and at the same time, Piotr’s mother fell seriously ill. Unfortunately, she did not recover. In the course of two years, Piotr lost both parents.
Despite going through some really tough times, both of them refused to give up. They put on hold all the career plans and started implementing the project “New”. Drawing on their collective experience they did a Lifestyle Design exercise. The method is very simple. The idea is to precisely and in detail, using all senses, imagine and describe your dream life. Based on that, they decided to move out of the house that reminded them too much of the past, and restart their lives elsewhere.
– Fortunately, our visions were very similar – Leo laughs – When we decided to move we approached the problem very pragmatically. First, we reviewed the rankings and official reports from different cities and regions. We then evaluated potential candidates in terms of quality of life, education, and subjective feeling of happiness by locals. The Tricity was at the top of the rankings in all categories important to us. It is also a very green place, and we really wanted to be close to nature.
– Our goal was to improve every aspect of our life – adds Piotr – so that we would be closer to our son’s school, that it would be safer, that there would be good public transport and bicycle paths, that there would be a friendly community around. We found it all in the Tricity.
Happy new beginning
Moving to Tricity turned out to be exactly what they needed. Even before they finally unpacked the last box in their new home, they began to take the next steps. Leo was finally able to open her dream personal training studio, and Piotr could focus on realising his dream and helping her achieve professional success. Both goals were achieved. – The Personal and EMS Training Studio has been operating since January 2021, and Piotr, while helping Leo, found his new calling – he became a Consultant, Coach and Business Mentor. This is how John Alex was born – Digital Coach and Piotr’s alter ego.
– This is exactly how I imagined my next chapter and I want to devote myself to it – says Piotr – I help others, I am constantly learning and improving, and at the same time I have time for my family …and I feel that I am alive! Finally, I found peace, a new challenge and I am happy that I live in a city that is amazing in every way!